Players involved in the construction of the repository
While the BfS has the role of operator and builder and thus takes the overall responsibility, the DBE carries out the planning and construction of the Konrad repository on behalf of the BfS. A multitude of other players are involved in the complex task of constructing the Konrad repository.
Some of them are only involved for single, defined measures, others for the construction of the core facilities over a longer period of time, others again as superior authorities or supervisory institutions.
Essentially, these are:
- As lower instance of the building administration (Staatliches Baumanagement Niedersachsen, SBN) the Braunschweig building authority is involved through inspection of the Konrad building site (KBÜ) and through consultation in building issues and is also involved via the Hannover Regional Tax Offic (OFD) in the EW budgetary procedure.
- The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB) has the administrative, functional and legal control over the BfS as operator.
- The Federal Railway Authority (EBA) supervises the operational facilities of the federal railways; the Länder railway authorities supervise non-federally owned railways and federal railway infrastructures. Both authorities are involved in the connecting the Konrad repository to the infrastructure. Track construction is done by Verkehrsbetriebe Peine-Salzgitter GmbH (VPS).
- As approval, licensing and regulatory authority according to mining law, the Landesamt für Bergbau, Energie und Geologie (LBEG) is also the authority for immission protection and waste for activities and institutions under mining law; it inspects the Konrad repository on a regular basis.
- As water authority which is in charge of special tasks, the NLWKN (Niedersächsischer Landesbetrieb für Wasserwirtschaft, Küsten- und Naturschutz) controls the self-surveillance of radioactive emissions via the waste water path and is the superior technical authority for the lower water authorities.
- The Lower Saxon Ministry for the Interior and Sports (NMI) is responsible for securing the facilities by the police.
- As highest building authority, the Lower Saxon Ministry for Social Affairs, Health and Equation (NMS) is the approving authority in the event of a so-called privileged procedure according to § 82 MBauO.
- The Lower Saxon Ministry for the Environment and Climate Protection (NMU) is the plan-approval authority and highest water authority and has the administrative and functional supervision and over the NLWKN and the functional supervision over the LBEG. By decree issued to the LBEG the NMU approves operating plans for the Konrad repository.
- Salzgitter Flachstahl GmbH (SZFG) and the Felswerk company clear the building site by backfitting e.g. their own hosting plants or, respectively, operational fields. Furthermore, the SZFG is involved in road construction and operates for Security Gate 6 during the building phase.
- The city of Salzgitter is not only involved as lower and higher water authority and as lower soil protection authority but also via the Building and Safety Division of the city of Salzgitter (building permit and building control authority unless privilege according to § 82 NBauO) and via the Technical Service Environment of the city of Salzgitter (lower water authority, final inspection and functional checks).
- As lower authority of the Federal Water and Shipping Administration, the Water and Shipping Authority Braunschweig is responsible for the execution of construction work, maintenance, operation and realty issues of the waste water penstock and in particular for the sewer pipe lines under the Salzgitter branch canal and serves as regulatory authority and entrepreneur for the operation and modification of the Salzgitter branch canal.
State of 2016.04.01